I just don’t understand why my mother does not understand me. I tell her that I am not straight. I am bisexual. I like guys and girls.

My mom said to me that there so no such thing as people being bisexual. This hurt me. But I had to realize that when she grew up in the 60s people were only straight or gay. I don’t condone her for what she said. My mom just needs to learn that things are different in 2018, that I can like whoever I want.

I only realized that I liked girls when I was 16 and I am 18 now. I have always liked guys though. It was hard for me to realize that I liked girls so it might be harder for my mom to realize that I am bisexual.

My mom will understand one day. I will be there to help her understand along the way.

Photos by mattbuck4950 ,

image_print Print this page.

Author

0 0 votes
Rate This Post
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
5 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
April 8, 2022 9:19 pm

Dear beatrice,

I am impressed by your post, "Why???” how they lived their lives in the 60’s and how people live now.One sentence that that like surprised me was, “>My mom said to me that there so no such thing as people being bisexual. This hurt me. But I had to realize that when she grew up in the 60s people were only straight or gay. I don’t condone her for what she said. My mom just needs to learn that things are different in 2018, that I can like whoever I want.” I think this is sad how her mom didn’t accept her the way she is.

Thanks for posting this. This post will help lots of people with their problems and will soon later give them motivation of coming out of the closet.

Arnold DIaz

September 20, 2021 6:40 am

Dear Beatrice,I’m touched by your post. The way you reacted over your mother’s reactions are very calm and understanding.

I know it can be hard having to deal with parents not understanding but I hope now she is more understanding of it and respects your choices of who you choose to love. A sentence you wrote that stood out to me is your last sentence. The way a parent reacts can be tough especially when they make you feel invalid.

Thank you for your writing. I look forward to finding out if your mom now understands how you feel about your preference in “love”.

Brandi Alvarez

Mack
November 28, 2018 4:11 pm

Beatrice, don’t let this get to you. It is hard for her understand right ow but at the end of the day she still loves you. Just remember to be happy and to be who you are and that you are accepted. Be confident and don’t let others tell you something that you know that you arent.

Hailey
November 28, 2018 4:11 pm

Hi Beatrice. Thank you for sharing this short essay with me! I loved how you opened up about your feelings towards your mom and I get how people might not always understand you as well as you would like them to. Your opening sentence was impactful when you said “I just don’t understand why my mother does not understand me”. Keep up your good writing!

Youth Voices is an open publishing and social networking platform for youth. The site is organized by teachers with support from the  National Writing Project . Opinions expressed by writers are their own.   See more About Youth Voices Terms of Service Privacy Policy . All work on Youth Voices is licensed under a  Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

CONTACT US

Email allisonpr@gmail.com Call or Text 917-612-3006

Sending
wpDiscuz
5
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment. x
( )
x
| Reply

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Move Comment