“Quien soy yo”

By: Maria Molina

The shadow box represent my ethnicity, nationality and race including the people I cared about in my life. The people that are really important is my mom, stepdad my little cousins and friends. My mom is married with a women so that will causes me to have a lot of stereotypes in my life how people are really closed minded. That they don’t understand that someone with the same sex could be together. My little cousins are one part of my life that if something happens to them I don’t know what my life will be without them. They are the ones that I could play and I could be there and help them, I have so much love for does little kids because I’m the only child so there the one that make my day and don’t make me feel lonely. My shadow box talks a lot about my identity like who makes me who I am, one thing that describe will be my culture. I was born in Mexico so that makes me feel that all the stereotypes people say about Mexican are like “no that’s not true” because Mexicans like to be responsible and have a better future for they’re family. For me moving to a different  place was hard, first of all because the food and the types of cultures that they have in Oakland are different. As you can see in my shadow box there are some types of candy I eat just to remember about Mexico and don’t forget about my family and people I love, including my culture. I have chosen to include the picture of people graduating because I will like to go to college and have a better future for my mom and family. Also my friends are a huge part of my life because I usually spend time at school so I consider my friends like a family. There the ones that are with me to help me in the good and bad times. I know we have problem like everyone does but no matter what I will always be here for them.

image_print Print this page.

Author

0 0 votes
Rate This Post
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
5 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Haley
April 17, 2019 11:06 pm

Maria, your shadow box is beautiful! I can tell from looking at the box that you are a very creative and happy person. Just as you, I have a passion for kids and love to work with them. I too am super close with my family and often take care of my little cousins as they live just miles away from me here in San Jose. By you mentioning that your mother is married to another women proves how strong you are. You are willing to talk about how you feel in terms of their relationship, which is awesome. Keep pursing your dreams of attending college and don’t let anyone stop you from achieving them.

-Haley

Jadyn Walton
October 24, 2018 5:32 pm

Dear Maria,I love your shadow box! Its very creative and I love how you added a lot of pictures to represent your love ones. You represented your culture so well with the colors and mini flags. Nice Job!

Sincerely,Jadyn W.

Leslie
October 24, 2018 5:27 pm

Dear Maria,I am impressed by your piece of writing “Quien Soy Yo” because you really expressed your culture which was a beautiful thing. One sentence that stood out to me was “ That they don’t understand that someone with the same sex could be together.” I think this is a really common thing that MANY people think of. The fact that you addressed this shows that yo support the LGBTQ community which is an amazing thing. I am proud of how you presented your shadow box in general, it has a very strong meaning

yasmin
October 10, 2018 4:19 pm

Dear Maria

I really like your shadow box it was very creative. It has lots of amazing objects that represent you as a person . For example that you really like hanging out with your friends which I can tell because you have pictures of them. But mainly I learn that some of the things that are important to you is your ethnicity, nationality and race. I also think its brave of you talking about your parents because not many people would and how you talked about some stereotypes. Thank you for your amazing shadow box I learned a lot of interesting things about you. -Yasmin

Youth Voices is an open publishing and social networking platform for youth. The site is organized by teachers with support from the  National Writing Project . Opinions expressed by writers are their own.   See more About Youth Voices Terms of Service Privacy Policy . All work on Youth Voices is licensed under a  Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

CONTACT US

Email allisonpr@gmail.com Call or Text 917-612-3006

Sending
wpDiscuz
5
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment. x
( )
x
| Reply

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Move Comment