Youth Voices

Make an Argument in the Form of an Animated Fable

What if you were to take a question or an issue that you are interested in and make an argument about it in the form of a fable? Write a short dialogue that features animals who can talk. Your dialogue should end with the words The Moral of the Story Is: . Oh, one more thing, make it an animation using Scratch.

How to do it: Write a fable and make it an animation

First, let's write a fable about a bear and horse, and let's practice punctuating dialogue correctly. 

Use this guide: http://youthvoices.net/fable

First time on Scratch? No worries.

To get ready to make an argument in the form of an animated fable do the following tasks:

1 - Get started with Scratch
2 - Follow step-by-step instructions for making a Scratch fable where two animals talk to each other (Horse and Bear)
3 - Learn how to look inside of a Scratch project and remix code. 

1 - Getting Started with Scratch

Project Page

Sign in at Scratch and find the Step-by-Step Guide by clicking on "Learn how to make a project with scratch". When you have finished the following steps, go to the embed code, then copy the code and paste it into a Discussion on Youth Voices.

2 - The Fable - Step-by-Step (One Way)

Project Page

Follow this Steps-by-Step Guide--and look inside the above project--to create a fable. When you have finished the following steps, go to the embed code, then copy the code and paste it into another Discussion on Youth Voices. Also add this project to the Youth Voices Studio.

Click to open document

3 - The Fable - Remix the Code (A second way)

Project Page, Horse and Bear #1  Go to See Inside and figure out what's wrong with the code for this one. Compare it with Horse and Bear#2. Project Page, Horse and Bear #2  Go to See Inside and find out what happens if you change the times in the code on this one?
Project Page, Horse and Bear #3  Go to See Inside and see how to use "broadcasting" to make a conversation work.

Your Mission: Make an Argument in the Form of an Animated Fable about your own Inquiry Question

• To get an idea of how a fable (or in this case a fairy tale) can be an argument, read and annotate Ninety-Nine Weeks: A Fairy Tale , by Ursula K. Le Guin
  • What animals might be in this conversation?
  • What might they be talking about?
  • What might happen (like the thunder storm in the horse-bear fable)?
  • Be sure to end with "The moral of this fable is:"
  • When you have finished with this project, go to the embed code, then copy the code and paste it into another Discussion on Youth Voices.

Badges: 

View Site in Mobile | Classic
Share by: