Youth Voices

Interactive Fairy Tale Using Scratch

Use  Scratch  to create an interactive ethical story, a story that teaches a lesson, or at least makes you understand how hard it is to make a good choice and have you feel that the right choice is always best. There should be a part of the story where the viewer can make a decision that will change the ending of the story completely. The viewer must make the decision that is morally correct. One decision is right and one decision, although it may help you in the short-term, will hurt because it was not the right thing to do.

If you need to build your skills in Scratch use the lessons at LearnScratch.org Scratch  has been designed to help develop the nine learning skills described on the  Why Learn Scratch  page. These include skills in communication, creativity, social responsibility, accountability, adaptability and collaboration for the students of the 21st Century.

Project: Follow these steps to create your Interactive Ethical Story and to post it as a discussion with your self-assessment on Youth Voices.

• Choose a story. We recommend adapting an existing fairy tale or fable, though you can invent your own if you are in an especially creative frame of mind. Some places to start looking:
  • Write a script. In order to plan out your story, you should know what characters you plan to include, and what they will say.
  • Write an alternate ending. From the point where the story diverges from the original, you should know what the characters will do as a result of a change in the main story decision.
  • Create storyboards. We recommend that you create three storyboards to help you visualize the story for the animation. Why three? Let's create one storyboard for the part of the story leading up to the main decision. Then one for the remainder of the original story, and one for the alternate ending. Some storyboarding sites that we recommend:
  • Animate your story. Use Scratch to create the characters, have them interact, and enable the viewer to make the decision for the main character.
  • If you use or modify existing material, be it a story, images, or scripts, from another source, give credit to the original author.
  • Keep the story appropriate for children younger than 13 years old.

Self-assessment: Copy and paste this guide into a Google Doc or Word processing document of your choice:  Reviewing a Scratch Project - Ethical Story . Write about which requirements you were able to satisfy, and those that you could not meet, and why.

Publishing and Commenting on Youth Voices:

• Click on the link to go to  http://scratch.mit.edu  and log in. Go to the page for your Ethical Story animation.
  • Copy the embed code for your Ethical story.
  • Click on the link to go to  http://youthvoices.net  and log in.
  • Create a new discussion post.
  • Paste the code from the Scratch site into the Description box.
  • Add a title, at least 5 keywords, choose "Gaming and New Media" for the channel.
  • Paste your self-assessment under the Scratch code, and save.
  • Comment on other students' Interactive Ethical Stories using these Guides:  Agree/Disagree Response or  General Discussion Response .
View Site in Mobile | Classic
Share by: