In the article, “Off the Cuff: What Don’t We Know about the Causes of Gun Violence? Almost Everything” (Hemenway 2016) I learned that there’s a toll of gun violence in America and people really don’t know how gun violence is caused. In paragraph 5 it states, “When reporters call me about any particular gun issue, I can tell them a few things. But once they push at all, I can’t tell them much more.” This connects with the central idea because Hemenway is explaining that people would like to know about the causes of gun violence in America but the truth is that we hardly know anything on what triggers so much hatred with guns.

I personally think that gun violence in America is a big deal. I also think that gun violence is caused by the people who have anger issues and people who have mental health problems. It’s honestly so sad and devastating watching families cry about a family member’s death from school shootings or another gun-related death.

The only question is, why don’t people know the real reason for what causes gun violence today even though gun problems have been a huge issue in America for a very long time?

image_print Print this page.

Author

0 0 votes
Rate This Post
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
16 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
December 12, 2023 10:43 pm

Dear Bryan,’ Your post made me think that gun violence is a really big thing in America. Another thing that your post made me think about is how gun violence increases. Something I wonder is when the governemnt will put a stop to gun violence.

Sincerely, Julian

Edward
December 12, 2023 5:10 pm

Dear Bryan, your post made me think about how gun violence claims the lives of many and how there is no solution to it. I wonder what causes so much hatred that results in gun violence.

December 11, 2023 5:34 pm

Dear Bryan your post makes me think when you say gun violence comes from anger issues and other mental health problems, that this will make people treat the mentally ill like a problem when what they need is help. I wonder if we continue to look down on them when they did nothing, will this push them to act irrationally.

December 1, 2023 7:51 pm

Dear Bryan

I am intrigued by your post,“ No answer for Gun Violence” because it is a serious topic that many people are aware about. Also as it also brings a new perspective that Gun violence has many reasons.

One sentence that stood out to me was,“ I also think that gun violence is caused by the people who have anger issues and people who have mental health problems.” I think this is interesting as it brings up the question of why the weapons are in the hands of non stable people. It also makes one think, whether what type of restrictions could be placed to prevent future violence.

Thanks for your writing. I look foward to seeing what you write next your views are very presentative and informative. It is also very thought provoking as your work offers up some reasons for what the topic is.

Sergio Zuniga

November 27, 2023 10:43 pm

Dear Bryan,
Your post made me think how serious gun violence actually is. It made me realize that a lot of shootings have caused ton of deaths and left an impact of the lost one family. Something i wonder is how can we stop gun violence and deaths.sincerely,
Cameron

November 27, 2023 5:13 pm

Dear Bryan,
Your post made me think of how far gun violence has come. It also made me realize how many lives have been lost. It shows/ explains how we can’t even be safe at school where it’s supposed to be a ¨safe place ¨ and just a place for learning and nothing else. Something I wonder is why people resort to gun violence.Sincerely,
Dalilah

November 27, 2023 5:10 pm

Your post made me think that gun violence is something that infiltrates the lives of Americans day to day. I find it interesting that the origin and triggers of gun violence are relatively unknown. Also, mental issues and anger issues can lead to many lives being lost. Something I wonder is how we can change the unchangeable because of how much death that gun violence has in America.

Sincerely,Ricardo

October 20, 2023 3:30 pm

I do agree that gun violence plagues our world and especially our youth today but saying all mental health issues can lead to this seems like it could be false. Theres many disorders ranging from serious ones that maybe could lead to violence like depression and schizophrenia but also ones like OCD and ADD couldn’t be a main cause for gun usage.

October 20, 2023 3:24 pm

Bryan, this is a very important topic and your take is very agreeable. Gun violence is something that infiltrates the lives of Americans day to day. I find it interesting that the origin and triggers of gun violence are relatively unknown. For me, when I think about gun violence, I mostly think of underlying mental issues and access to firearms. I think your interest and curiosity are important and will go far in understanding the reasons behind gun violence.

October 19, 2023 5:26 pm

I think that your kind of blanket term of “mental health issues” doesn’t really say a lot about the demographics of the specific types of issues/disorders that can have a contributing effect on the rate of firearm violence. I think that a disorder such as ADHD (Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) would not have a contributing effect to how likely someone is to contribute to firearm violence, while a disorder that causes mood instability, delusions, and similar, highly intense, symptoms (such as PTSD) would most definitely have an effect on how likely someone is to contribute to firearm violence.

Overall, though, I think there’s a lot of factors that go into firearm violence, and I think that, arguably, mental issues (including anger issues) are a comparatively small factor when looked at in the context of non-firearm crime, income, and other factors.

> Aidan

Last edited 5 months ago by Aidan
October 19, 2023 5:25 pm

Hi Bryan! This is truly a critical topic to think about. Overall, I loved the research you included. One thing I do disagree with is that people who “cause” gun violence have anger issues. While this may be one reason someone decides to cause harm to others, I do believe that there are so many more factors that contribute to it.Also, you asked a very valid question regarding the “why?”.

October 16, 2023 9:38 pm

Your post made me think that gun violence can take place when a person isn’t healthy mentally. This is because just because a person has anger issues it doesn’t mean they necessarily have mental health issues but just that they could have underlying issues that need to be looked at or medically helped. As you continue to research, I hope you discover if mental health is the main cause of gun violence.

Sincerely, Danielle Villagomez

October 16, 2023 9:32 pm

Dear Bryan,Your post made me think about how many people how died from guns and innocent lives are gone because of guns. Also, how mental issues and angry issues can lead to many lives being lost. As you continue to research, I hope you discover the main reason why the gun violence is out of control.

Sincerely,Roman Virgen

October 16, 2023 9:31 pm

Dear Bryan,

Your post made me think that gun violence is a very big issue all over the entire world. Many people are killing each other and the easy access to these guns makes the whole situation even worse. As you continue to do your research, I hope you discover if the gun violence is increasing or declining.

Sincerely,Giovanni Rosas

October 16, 2023 4:30 pm

Dear Bryan,
your post made me think about how do we not know why people are killing each other and is even worse that it’s mostly our kids dying. your post also made me think what is the reasoning behind all these killings and why our children dying. As you continue to research I hope you discover the real issue of gun violence and the real reason were losing our kids to this.sincerely,
Juan Hernandez

October 16, 2023 4:16 pm

Dear Bryan,
Your post made me think that gun violence is something bad that could cause a lot of problems due to using it the wrong way. Another thing about this is that people think that guns are nothing wrong but actually are causing so many deaths. As you continue to research, I hope you discover that gun violence could cause much damage in the community and all around.Sincerely,
Amber Rosas

Youth Voices is an open publishing and social networking platform for youth. The site is organized by teachers with support from the  National Writing Project . Opinions expressed by writers are their own.   See more About Youth Voices Terms of Service Privacy Policy . All work on Youth Voices is licensed under a  Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

CONTACT US

Email allisonpr@gmail.com Call or Text 917-612-3006

Sending
wpDiscuz
16
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment. x
( )
x
| Reply

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Move Comment