Youth Voices

Missions and Investigations: Make something awesome!

What's a mission or investigation? Read more: Missions and Investigations on Genius

Play Youth Voices
Badges defining learning paths through some
of the missions that are listed below.
How to Make a Mission/Investigation Competencies to provide for
in a mission/investigation

Argument

The purpose of Photo 180 is to take pictures of a complete school year showing all 180 days and the 180 degree change that a single school year can make in our lives. We invite you to shoot one picture every day, expressing what was happening for you as a learner that day whether in school or outside of school. What's important to you?

Argument

As you follow the news about Occupy Wall Street on facebook, twitter, and other Internet sources, we want to encourage you to add your voice by posting discussions about the protests that are being organized in your own community and across the world.

Argument

Image courtesy of Jessi Bautista (see article)

Add your comments to these articles. Log in to your Google account so that we can know who is commenting!

Argument

Are you tired of writing boring old research papers that are just full of data? Learn how to synthesize sources to both appeal to an audience and deliver factual information by creating a news article. You might also write a news article as a response to literature.

Argument

Comment on a couple of article about the KONY 2012 vidoe. Please log in to your Google account so that we can keep track of your comments.

Argument

Comment on a couple of articles, podcasts, and videos about The Shooting of Trayvon Martin. Please log in to your Google account so that we can keep track of your comments.

Argument

Let's investigate what's in our personal care products. How dangerous is a beauty salon?

Argument

Write a " dialogue of authors " in which the writers of the four articles listed below give their answers for the following questions, with supporting evidence for the claims that are made:

How should Obama and Romney respond to Occupy Wall Street? In his campaign for President, should each of the candidates support, denounce, or remain silent about the Occupy Wall Street movement?

Argument

Let's read, view, listen and annotate together.

Argument

Technology By Ayers Photo Christopher Ayers, a Youth Voices pool photographer.

Wow! 2,750 texts a month! And that's just the average. Our guess is, many of us exceed that number quite often. Read the attached articles. Tell us what you think.

Argument

Read, annotate and write responses to articles about violent crime.

Argument

Read and annotate articles and watch videos and take notes on the Young Lords. At a crossroads in US history, the Young Lords fought for human rights of Puerto Ricans and other oppressed people. Known for bold actions and dramatic protests, they brought attention to the dire conditions that people were living in the 1960s and 70s paving the way for progressive changes.

Argument

Learning the facts and trying to understand. Read, annotate, and write about the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings Let us know what you think about what happened in Newton, Connecticut

Argument

Read and annotate articles and watch videos and listen to podcasts about Economics. It's important to have your own questions and lines of inquiry as you read, take notes, and add quotes on and from these sources. All of this should lead to your writing about your question, issue or topic within the fields of micro- and macro-Economics.

Argument

Read and write about Stop-and-Frisk, a policy used by the police in NYC and other cities to reduce crime. But some say that the police unfairly target Black and Hispanic young men, who have made up 85 percent of those stopped. Is this practice fair and effective? Does it reduce crime? Does Stop-and-Frisk violate the fourth amendment protections: The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures... ?

Argument

Find an  opinion piece from an online newspaper, (Austin American Statesman, Austin Chronicle, USA Today, New York Times, Washington Post, etc.) about a topic that interests you. Read it through a couple of times – how does the author try to persuade the audience of his/her argument? How does the author use ethos, pathos or logos? Write about it on Youth Voices.

Argument

Read, annotate, and write about Malcolm X. Let us know what you think about his life, philosophy, and politics.

Argument

Poverty and the gap between the richest New Yorkers and the poorest New Yorkers is a problem that politicians, activists, business people, and all New Yorkers must deal with. What are some of the causes of income inequality? How can we break the patterns of poverty that hold too many New Yorkers back?

Argument

Most agree that we could be doing a better job of educating the youth of New York City. Classrooms need to enlivened, updated, and students need to be empowered. The drop-out rate is too high. Shifting to higher standards is something we are all working on. Large schools are being closed and smaller schools have replaced them. Teachers and students are under pressure to increase success on standardized tests. What are the real problems facing our schools in New York City? What are some of the solutions that we know work? What gets in the way of changing schools in New York City? What changes would you like to see?

Argument

Gun violence is an issue we must face in New York City. All of us have to combat gun violence. Ending gun violence is a political, health, educational, religious, ethical, and justice issue. What laws might we pass that would increase the peace? How do we interrupt the cycles of violence that we find in many of our neighborhoods in NYC? What do you think has to change?

Argument

Obesity, diabetes, and asthma are three of the more obvious consequences of poor eating habits that stem from food insecurity, lack of grocery stores, and bad eating habits. What can we do in NYC to foster access to healtier food and lifestyles? How can we bring more health and food security into the lives of our youths?

Argument

Through building nest boxes and placing them in a park, students will learn basic woodworking skills, and they will learn about the importance of studying the migratory patterns of birds like Tree Swallows. Students will be introduced to basic concepts of scientific observation, biology, evolution, ornithology, and environment sciences.

Argument

It's time to become a food detective." Michael Pollan's book "The Omnivore's Dilemma" guides us through the mystery of where our food comes from. You will never look at the food you eat the same way again!!

Argument

Comment on the posts listed as "Related Posts" on the left side of the mission. Read and annotate texts, videos, and podcasts about water, then add quotations from these resources to your Dialectical Notes about water. Post a discussion about one text, video, or podcast on Youth Voices, OR one that follows the questions in the mission: " Why People Should Care about My Research Project . Once you've completed Dialectical Notes on two or three more resources, write, revise, and proofread a Discussion on Youth Voices.

Argument

Write to two mastery-level comments on Youth Voices that follow the  General Discussion  commenting guide

Argument

I want students to be able to connect with the 1960's by revisiting the assassination of John F. Keneddy

Argument

Write an essay or article explaining how your perception of the American Dream has been influenced(family, media, books,etc). In your essay incorporate an article that you have found and read, or even a book or movie that demonstrates the American Dream.

Argument

I want student's to realize that Global Warming is a real issue for the world and future society.

Argument

Read and annotate the five chapters of this New York Times series. Write about Dasani, the focus of these narrative articles, the way you would write about the main character of a short story. Also, get involved in discussions about each of the articles by posting your responses, adding your comments, doing more research into the issues of homelessness and making more comments, citing your research. There are more than 22,000 homeless children in New York, the highest number since the Great Depression. This is one of their stories. ( Track your progress through the steps in this mission .)

Argument

Read and annotate several of these articles about women in Ancient Egypt. When you annotate, try to type anything that is passing through your mind while you are reading. You can pose questions and speculate on answers, freewrite, argue, tell stories, make connections, add other ideas... Try to type your " movie of the mind " while reading.

Remember to add your name in the top right, then choose the Point, Area, or Text Commenting tool from a drop-down menu in the top, left-hand corner.

After you read and annotate one of these articles...

Write a response using the guide, " Basic Response to a Non-Fiction Article " to write about the issues raised in this essay. Post your essay on  Youth Voices .

Argument

What to do: Choose a video, game, or an article about Ancient Egypt from this Gooru Collection. Use Crocodoc or Vialogues, to read and annotate every paragraph with questions, opinions, reactions one of the articles or annotate every couple of minutes of a video. Then follow the guides listed above to post a Discussion about that article, video, or game.

Argument

The issues raised by the Jordan Davis murder trial touch deeply on issues of race, law, social justice, and any and all of these issues could be a course of study. What we hope to do with this collection is to offer a number resources that teachers and students can use to read, write, and think about the case while knowing that no set of texts can possibly speak to all of the challenges this case represents.

Argument

What to do to get mastery: Choose two of these Youth Voices Discussions Posts about Ancient Egypt that you haven't commented on yet (for your On Track comments), and use the guide " Quoting a Source in a Comment " to quote from the discussion post and an article you've researched.

Argument

Can storytelling be slowed to a walking pace in an age of quickly changing headlines? How do you share a journey that spans not seven days — but seven years? Along with Paul Salopek and his Web partners on http://www.outofedenwalk.com , we are exploring the latest multimedia technology, new digital mapping tools, exciting social media experiments about global affairs and the rewards of “slow journalism.”

Argument

"Before you finish high school, you HAVE to read...."So many of us hear this statement, invariably followed by some "classic" or another, but what do YOU think all high schoolers should read before they graduate? Should there even be required reading at all?

Argument

Start with your own questions, then deepen your inquiry into Michael Brown's shooting, and the protests and confrontations in Ferguson by choosing from these 25 articles, songs, interviews, photographs, blog posts, podcasts, reviews, videos, and academic reports.

Argument

What does the use of Native American mascots tell us about how we see Native Americans?

Argument

Annotate a story about a lost Black life, and write a poem modeled after "Night, for Henry Dumas" and "41 Bullets Off-Broadway."

Argument

Write a response to the videos and the readings about professional athletes protesting the recent cases of police brutality. Do you think these forms of protest are effective? Why or why not?

Argument

The day after a grand jury decided not to indict the police officer who strangled Eric Garner on Staten Island, Questlove put out a challenge , calling for: "...real stories. Real narratives. Songs with spirit in them. Songs with solutions. Songs with questions. Protest songs... that speak truth...." He said that his soul was aching for "just ONE or Two songs that change the course."

Who is answering Questlove's call?

Do you think that any of the songs embedded in or linked to this mission might be part a "voice of the times that we live in" as Questlove called for?

What other songs would you put forward as meaningful protest songs for this important moment in history?

Annotate these songs, and write reviews of them, explaining how how they answer (or fall short of) Questlove's challenge to produce "community minded" songs of protest for our times.

Argument

Make thematic connections between the documentary " Every Mother's Son " and a novel you've been reading. Identify parallels and contrasts between the justice system presented in the film and the justice system in the novel. Convey reflections in a well-constructed discussion post on Youth Voices.

Argument

You are the investigator reading the reports below and inspecting the picture of the scene. Mr. Karazai’s son claims that his father hanged himself. What do you think is the truth? From the evidence available, make a case for what you think really happened. If you believe that other evidence is necessary, make a recommendation about what other evidence might need to be collected. Before you begin to write your report, list the evidence and warrants you will use in making your case.

Argument

Can video games make us more violent or do some players who are predisposed towards aggression seek out certain games? Does the level of violence in hip hop speak volumes about the industry's greed and lack of self-control? What is the cause of violence in our lives? Are video games and hip hop to blame?

Argument

Investigate emotional appeals in public health. Do a Google search of the phrase public health emotional appeals . Explore two or more of the search results and annotate them. Write a reflection on some of the ways that emotional appeals are used in public health. Post it as a discussion, and comment and reply on other students' discussion posts.

Argument

Annotate these resources from the historic, last week in April 2015 about " Freddie Gray and the Baltimore Uprising, April 2015 ." Read and listen to these sources and annotate them. Then write a discussion post where you quote from these sources, and comment on other students' posts about Freddie Gray and the Baltimore Uprising. Later go back to these sources, and engage with other students by replying to their annotations.

Argument

Annotate this week's Do Now from KQED , then compose and post your response as a discussion on Youth Voices, and tweet a link to your discussion post.

Argument

Write a response to this essay.

Argument

Read and annotate, watch and annotate videos and listen to and annotate podcasts to learn more about Kalief Browder. Get involved in discussions about Kalief Browder by commenting and adding your own essays and poems as discussion posts.

Argument

Read and annotate the first chapter of Alfred North Whitehead's The Aims of Education . Use these three versions of the same text to compare some of the affordances of Hypothes.is, NowComment, and Genius.

Argument

Create a meme that expresses an opinion about the presidential election. Write a few words about the purpose and intent of your meme.

Arts and Entertainment

Youth Voices is in need of one original image done by a student to use as the icon for this site. It can be one of your photographs, a piece of your art, or any original creation of yours.  Upload your image by August 31, 2012 and enter to win.

Arts and Entertainment

Antonio Wingfield's Icon

Represent yourself online by making an avatar, personal icon, or personal logo. There are many services, discussion sites, and social networking sites where you can upload your avatar. You make different versions of your visual self-representation for different places online, each to capture the essence of you in a different way. Also you'll be getting more familiar with creating with Pixlr.

Arts and Entertainment

Day 242: Questions For Heaven, by amanky on flickr (Creative Commons)

One of the most important things you can do as a photographer is to document your interests. If you care about what you photograph, you'll do better work. This exercise will help you think more about what interests you and what you're curious about. After that, you'll photograph some of your interests.

Arts and Entertainment

Who am I? a Creative Commons image by Lorianne DiSabato on flickr

Add four Creative Commons images to a Google Presentation to represent yourself with image and text.

Arts and Entertainment

Produce and be the subject of a video portrait of yourself as a photographer, like what  Mark Godfrey  does. Look over your photostream and locate the photos that you're proud of. There are many kinds of special topics that you might talk about when you describe your work as a photographer.

Arts and Entertainment

fire storm by By Reid Bell a Youth Voices pool photographer on flickr

Youth Voices photographers share the secrets of their craft. Their videos showcase their excellent work, which might inspire you to find your eye and follow your passions as a photographer (or something else). Check it out!

Arts and Entertainment

Read, annotate, and write about Steven Spielberg's movie, "Lincoln." Let us know what you think about the movie and the reviews.

Arts and Entertainment

Create a wiki page about a significant photographer from the past.

Arts and Entertainment

Whether it's a holiday, somebody's birthday, or a special occasion, homemade gifts are sometimes the best. Here are some Do-It-Yourself projects using your own photos to make gifts for people.

Andy Warhol inspired Hangers by Niko

Photo Star by Vicky

Photo Garland by Allyson

Jewelry Box by Andy

Picture Frame by Milly

Photo Collage Letter Blocks by mschmiett  | k_larson | Cholyoak | Michaela

Arts and Entertainment

How can we capture an element of our identity in just six words?

Legend has it that when Ernest Hemingway was challenged to write a six-word novel, he came up with, “For Sale: baby shoes, never worn.” Inspired by Hemingway’s short story, SMITH magazine launched online in 2006. They challenged readers and famous writers alike to submit their own six-word memoirs for a contest. People of all ages sent in short life stories in droves, and the results were poignant, hilarious, devastating and good lessons to all. ( Smith Magazine ) A Six-Word Memoir is the story of your life—some part of it or all of it—told in exactly six words.

( versión española )

Arts and Entertainment

We are turning script writing into calligraphy .

Arts and Entertainment

Shortly after the release of "Selma," director, Ava DuVernay tweeted, "Bottom line is folks should interrogate history. Don't take my word for it or LBJ rep's word for it. Let it come alive for yourself. #Selma"

That's what this mission is all about. Dive in, learn what the issues are around the movie "Selma," and make your own connections to history and current events.

Arts and Entertainment

Annotate these two songs on Genius with your words, images, and videos. In a discussion post, explain the themes in Lupe Fiasco's song and in Tupac's. What are the ways the poems are similar? What are a couple of ways they are different? Get involved in conversations about these two poems by adding comments and replies to other students' discussions.

Arts and Entertainment

Reading and writing about art is a great way to

Booktalk

We are developing a VoiceThread together as we read Black Boy together. You can simply read from the text, dramatize a section, tell your own story that is related to something in the novel, or express your thoughts, feelings and opinions about a particular section. Each section of the novel is identified with a specific photograph.

Booktalk

Read Aloud, Annotate, and Record Kurt Vonnegut's "2BR02B."

Booktalk

Let's read, write comments, and record Cory Doctoro's "Little Brother" together.

Booktalk

Read and annotate, record yourself reading, and engage in discussions about Transitions , A collection of children’s books created by middle school students in Mr. Mayo’s Lights, Camera, Media, Literacy! class at Silver Spring International Middle School (2012). When you finish each story in this collection write a response and post it as a discussion. Also follow up with research into the important issues raised by these stories for students, and add to the discussions for Transitions .

Booktalk

Reviews on American Born Chinese

Booktalk

We want to know what you think of Down These Mean Streets. What are the important themes, lessons, inquiries, and questions in Piri Thomas's "vivid, brutally honest memoir of experiences of racial prejudice and discrimination, identity formation, and youthful involvement with crime that leads to life-altering prison experiences" (Wikipedia). Piri spend's "much of his adolescent and early adult life contemplating his racial and ethnic identity." How do you find these issuese in your life and in the world today?

Booktalk

Boo Radley shared bits of his life with Jem and Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird by placing things in the knothole of a tree. If you could only express your life through things placed in a knothole, what would you put, why would you put it?

Booktalk

Let's read the first chapter of Black Boy together. Read and listen to each of the stories. Write responses using the Literature Guides . Then record each section of the first chapter of Black Boy and post the MP3 of that recording with your response to that excerpt.

Booktalk

Read and annotate first four chapters. Play Quizlet. Record on VoiceThread. Engage others on Youth Voices. Read about Gary Soto. Module Link .

Booktalk

Let's read, annotate, comment on, and record Bad Boy together. The most important part of this is that you are having online conversations about this novel with other students. (So don't forget 3d, 4d, 5d, 6d, and 7d.)

Booktalk

Write about Squeaky, a dynamic character in "Raymond's Run" by Toni Cade Bambara. First, find several details that make Squeaky who she is and map the plot, then determine how the plot affects how we understand the Squeaky's character. While reading, stop after the first three paragraphs to describe what makes Squeaky who she is. Later, make predictions about the text, and when you have finished reading, create a plot map. Then write a Literature Response for Youth Voices in which you determine the relationship between the plot and the way Squeaky is described in the story. Finally, comment on other students' posts about "Raymond's Run."

Booktalk

Practice and record a dramatic reading of a page of dialogue from a novel.

Booktalk

Read and annotate the first chapter of Night by Elie Wiesel. Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. You can also record your reading of this chapter on VoiceThread. Then write your response to the first chapter, using one or two of the five questions in this mission. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of Night by commenting on another student's discussion post about chapter one. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review your comprehension of the text. Finally, do more research on the Holocaust, and add your findings to another comment or reply on another discussion post about Chapter 1.

Booktalk

Read and annotate a poem and a short story about political oppression and fear that can change the way people think and act. Write a literary essay, then comment on other students' essays.

Booktalk

Read and annotate the second and third chapters of Night by Elie Wiesel. Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. You can also record your reading of these chapters on VoiceThread. Then write your response to these two chapters, using one or two of the four questions in this mission. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of Night by commenting on another student's discussion post about chapters two and three. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review your comprehension of the text. Finally, do more research on the Holocaust, and add your findings to another comment or reply on another discussion post about Chapters 2 and 3.

Booktalk

Read and annotate the fourth chapter of Night by Elie Wiesel. Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. You can also record your reading of this chapter on VoiceThread. Then write your response to the fourth chapter, using one or two of the three questions in this mission. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of Night by commenting on another student's discussion post about chapter four. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review your comprehension of the text. Finally, do more research on the Holocaust, and add your findings to another comment or reply on another discussion post about Chapter 4.

Booktalk

Write a response to "Lucky to be with Habib" and "One of Them" or another vignette from Sold , by Patricia McCormick. Too many children are abused by adults – physically, emotionally and sometimes sexually. What happens to girls like Lakshmi, the girl in this vignette, or boys and girls that are abused in the U.S.? Life is full of suffering. It is also full of joy. So what does it all mean? Why do some people suffer more than others? How do people go on and rebuild their lives after something horrible happens to them?

Booktalk

Read " Thank you Ma'am " (while listening to it), then annotate it in Genius. Reply to other students' and Genius annotations. Write a response to the story using one of the suggested literature guides, and comment and reply on other students' posts.

Booktalk

Rewrite Edgar Allan Poe's poem for a modern audience or write an essay that illuminates the mythological references in the poem.

Booktalk

Write notes about the details of this book.

Booktalk

Read and annotate the fifth chapter of Night by Elie Wiesel. Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. You can also record your reading of this chapter on VoiceThread. Then write your response to the first chapter, using one or two of the five three questions in this mission. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of Night by commenting on another student's discussion post about chapter one. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review your comprehension of the text. Finally, do more research on the Holocaust, and add your findings to another comment or reply on another discussion post about Chapter 5.

Booktalk

Read and annotate the first six vignettes of The House on Mango Street . Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. Also record your reading of two or three of these vignettes on VoiceThread. Then write your response to this first section of the novel. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of The House on Mango Street by commenting on another student's discussion post about these first six vignettes. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review your comprehension of the text.

Booktalk

Read and annotate 11 vignettes from Part 2 of The House on Mango Street . Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. Also record your reading of three of four of these vignettes on VoiceThread. Then write your response to this second section of the novel. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of The House on Mango Street by commenting on another student's discussion post about these 11 vignettes from Part 2 of the novel. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review your comprehension of the text.

Booktalk

Read and annotate, record important passages, and get involved in sourced conversations about George Orwell's 1984 . Also do research and make connections to between the book and contemporary issues.

Booktalk

Read and annotate, record important passages, and get involved in sourced conversations about F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby . Also do research and make connections to between the book and contemporary issues.

Booktalk

Write about Richard Wright's Native Son .

Booktalk

Read and write about this book.

Booktalk

Annotate this novel together. Record your favorite passages, and get involved in a discussion about the novel.

Booktalk

Read and annotate the first seven chapters of To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. You can also record your reading of these chapters on VoiceThread. Then write your response to the first seven chapters, using one or two of the six questions in this mission. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of To Kill a Mockingbird by commenting on another student's discussion post about Chapters 1-7. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review your comprehension of the text. Finally, do more research on The Great Depression, and add your findings to another comment or reply on another discussion post about Chapters 1-7.

Booktalk

Read and annotate Chapters 8-11 of To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. You can also record your reading of these chapters on VoiceThread. Then write your response to these four chapters, using one or two of the six questions in this mission. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of To Kill a Mockingbird by commenting on another student's discussion post about Chapters 8-11. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review your comprehension of the text. Finally, do more research on the history surrounding these chapters, and add your findings to another comment or reply on another discussion post about Chapters 8=11.

Booktalk

Read and annotate the prologue and the first eight chapters of Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt. Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. Choose what you think are important passages these chapters, and record them using VoiceThread. Then write your response to this part of the book, using one or two of the six questions in this mission. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of Tuck Everlasting by commenting on another student's discussion post about the Prologue and Chapters 1-8. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review vocabulary and your comprehension of the text. Finally, do more research on Tuck Everlasting , and add your findings by writing another comment or reply to another discussion post about this part of the book. (Make a copy of this Doc to track your progress.)

Booktalk

Who is responsible for the downfall of Macbeth? Post your opinions. Feel free to politely and intelligently debate with others!

Booktalk

Read and annotate Chapters 9-11 of Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt. Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. You can also record your reading of these chapters on VoiceThread. Then write your response to this part of the book, using one or two of the nine questions in this mission. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of Tuck Everlasting by commenting on another student's discussion post about Chapters 9-11. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review vocabulary and your comprehension of the text. Finally, do more research on Tuck Everlasting , and add your findings to another comment or reply on another discussion post about this part of the book. (Make a copy of this Doc to track your progress.)

Booktalk

Read and annotate Chapters 12-17 of Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt. Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. You can also record your reading of these chapters on VoiceThread. Then write your response to this part of the book, using one or two of the three questions in this mission. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of Tuck Everlasting by commenting on another student's discussion post about Chapters 12-17. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review vocabulary and your comprehension of the text. Finally, do more research on Tuck Everlasting , and add your findings to another comment or reply on another discussion post about this part of the book. (Make a copy of this Doc to track your progress.)

Booktalk

Read and annotate Chapters 18-20 of Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt. Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. You can also record your reading of these chapters on VoiceThread. Then write your response to this part of the book, using one or two of the seven questions in this mission. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of Tuck Everlasting by commenting on another student's discussion post about Chapters 18-20. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review vocabulary and your comprehension of the text. Finally, do more research on Tuck Everlasting, and add your findings to another comment or reply on another discussion post about this part of the book. (Make a copy of this Doc to track your progress.)

Booktalk

Read, annotate, write about, and discuss autism.

Booktalk

Read and annotate Chapters 21-25 and the Epilogue of Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt. Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. You can also record your reading of these chapters on VoiceThread. Then write your response to this part of the book, using one or two of the six questions in this mission. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of Tuck Everlasting by commenting on another student's discussion post about Chapters 21-25 and the Epilogue. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review vocabulary and your comprehension of the text. Finally, do more research on Tuck Everlasting , and add your findings to another comment or reply on another discussion post about this part of the book. (Make a copy of this Doc to track your progress.)

Booktalk

Read and annotate "Summer," the first section of This Side of Home by Renée Watson. Read the book aloud along with another student or an adult. Pause frequently to annotate the text. Choose what you think are important passages these chapters, and record them using VoiceThread. Then write your response to this part of the book, using one or two of questions in this mission. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of This Side of Home by commenting on another student's discussion post about the "Summer" section, Chapters 1-16. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review vocabulary and your comprehension of the text. Finally, do more research on gentrification, and add your findings by writing another comment or reply to another discussion post about this part of the book. (Make a copy of this Doc to track your progress.)

Booktalk

Read, listen to, and annotate "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey - Part 1a, Chapters 1-5

Booktalk

Read, listen to, and annotate "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey - Part 4

Booktalk

Read, listen to, and annotate "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey - Part 2

Booktalk

Read, listen to, and annotate "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey - Part 1b, Chapters 6-15

Booktalk

Read, listen to, and annotate "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey - Part 3.

Booktalk

Read and annotate chapters 5-9. Play Quizlet. Record on VoiceThread. Engage others on Youth Voices. Read about Gary Soto. Module Link .

Booktalk

Read and annotate chapters 10-13. Play Quizlet. Record on VoiceThread. Engage others on Youth Voices. Read about Gary Soto. Module Link .

Booktalk

Read and annotate chapters 14-17. Play Quizlet. Record on VoiceThread. Engage others on Youth Voices. Read about Gary Soto. Module Link .

Booktalk

Read and annotate last four chapters. Play Quizlet. Record on VoiceThread. Engage others on Youth Voices. Read about Gary Soto. Module Link .

Connected Research

Image for a mission on Youth Voices

Create sustained pieces of writing by freewriting, writing focused sentences, and more freewriting in and out of school.

Connected Research

Use the "Loop Writing Process" to focus in on where you are going with an inquiry and to give you new ideas about your question.

Connected Research

Use "Composing Guidelines" to ask whether your writing is really getting at what you want to say. And to ask, "What's missing?"

Connected Research

This mission is designed to help you write another discussion post about your inquiry topic. This might be your fourth or fifth post on your question, and this won’t be the last time you write about your question. However, if you’ve been keeping up with your annotations and your dialectical notes (see Guides) as you do your research, then it’s quite likely that the post you write for this mission will elicit helpful comments from other students on Youth Voices.

Connected Research

This interactive infographic from Number Sleuth accurately illustrates the scale of over 100 items within the observable universe ranging from galaxies to insects, nebulae and stars to molecules and atoms. Numerous hot points along the zoom slider allow for direct access to planets, animals, the hydrogen atom and more. As you scroll, a handy dial spins to show you your present magnification level.

Connected Research

Five crescents - Wikipedia

Write a thoroughly researched post based on your inquiry question. Your post must have FIVE reliable sources and provide a "Works Cited" listing all of them. Your discussion post should draw on relevant information from five reliable sources. Sources should be cited in the proper MLA or APA format at the bottom of the post. Use the Five Reliable Sources guide.

Connected Research

Annotate a Wikipedia article. Post a discussion about this article, quoting from 3 sources that support or question the article.

Connected Research

Annotate every paragraph or so of recent newspaper articles with questions and opinions using hypothes.is or NowComment .

Connected Research

Blogs help you reach beyond the mainstream media to a wider and deeper perspective on a broad range of less common topics. Sure, there are questions about credibility (Anybody can create a blog.) and reliability (How do we know anything is true in a blog?), but blogs can be a great way to start collecting together different perspectives on almost any issue or question that you might want to learn more about. Bloggers often point to other more reliable and credible sources that you can use as you continue your research.

Connected Research

Have fun struggling with the fascinating studies, reports, and articles that you find in the References, External Links and Further Reading sections at the bottom of Wikipedia pages. No matter what teachers and others think about the accuracy and reliability of Wikipedia, most agree that it's a good launching pad for finding more solid sources for your research.

Connected Research

PDFs are often a great source for finding reliable, complex, interesting articles about your topic. And it's as easy as adding a couple of filters in Google's Advanced Search. Once you find two or three articles, annotate them using hypothes.is or by putting them up in NowComment . Also learn vocabulary by adding words to Quizlet flashcards, and by making Dialectical Notes.

Connected Research

Use databases such as JSTOR, EBSCOhost, or GALE to gain access to full-text journal articles, government reports, and academic studies in organized collections. Although the differences between what you can find on the surface web and in the deep web sometimes seem to be exaggerated and are changing, it's still true that the content of databases has undergone a review process and the information is often more reliable than some of the information found on the Internet.

Connected Research

Make a short slide show with Creative Commons images that express different perspectives on your topic. Embed this in an essay.

Connected Research

Many of us use YouTube for entertainment, but browse over to YouTube.com/education to see how many fascinating videos you can find to spark your research project. Use EDU-YouTube to find 2 or 3 videos from such inspiring sources as TEDx Talks, Stamford University, and PBS NewsHour, and more!

Connected Research

Podcasts are rich sources of information for most any research project. Search on iTunes to see what you can find, then look on NPR to find couple of podcasts there as well. Listen carefully, take dialectical notes, then add your brief transcriptions, citations, and responses from these podcasts to your discussion post.

Connected Research

Write a Collage Essay, which Peter Elbow describes like this: "A written collage consists of separate, disconnected bits of writing rather than one continuous, connected piece. Often there are spaces or asterisks or decorative dingbats between the separate bits. That may not sound like good writing, but finished collages are often remarkably satisfying and effective as writing."

Connected Research

Do some "pre-research" reading, then post a discussion that explains why people should care... Add 5+ keywords and a CC image.

Connected Research

Determine your relationship to the world we live in. What do you know about each continent? How does it differ from where you live?

Connected Research

List questions. Choose one. Say why. Read something. Add quote. Cite. Find image. Post. Comment. This can be done in a 90-minute period.

Connected Research

Esta actividad es muy útil si no puedes pensar en qué escribir, o si tienes bloqueo mental de escritor.

Connected Research

Learning this technique will help you develop a deep, precise understanding of what you read. It will also prepare you to write a meaningful response to literature.

Connected Research

Create a Youth Voices discussion where you talk about the events of 2014 that impacted you most. Here are some places to look. Remember to provide a link to a source (not one of the ones below though). Also, make a helpful comment on another student's discussion.

Connected Research

Reflect (flip), rotate (turn), and translate (slide) your way through 18 levels of shape shifting geometry fun! Can you make it all the way to the end? Keep track of your progress by capturing images of your setup before you hit the transform button. Write a caption that explains how you were sure that the blocks you chose and the units were correct.

Connected Research

Keep track of what you do as you research so that we can see and learn from each other about the weird and wonderful paths research can take!

Connected Research

Take a walking tour of your neighborhood.

Connected Research

What issues of social injustice in society must be investigated? What can we learn about that issue, and what can we do raise awareness and seek justice on that issue? Share your learning through process blogs and use it to seek justice in your community.

Connected Research

Read, pose questions, write about the first part of Omnivore’s Dilemma and photos from Hungry Planet. Make SuperTracker profile.

Connected Research

Choose an article an annotate it using hypothes.is .

Connected Research

CC License: Attribution Share Alike by Keith Rowley, yugenro on flickr

Select an issue you care about. Select appropriate media. Draft and create your media content. Post and comment on Youth Voices.

From the Middle (6-8)

In the news, there are infinite stories that grab our attention as middle school and elementary school students. What are some interesting stories in the news now?

From the Middle (6-8)

As a student in middle school or elementary school, what issues are important to you?

From the Middle (6-8)

Now that we have looked at the whole world, let's determine our relationship to the country we live in! Here we will look at maps, current events, and a little bit of history of what has happened in the United States.

From the Middle (6-8)

Self-Directed Learning: Select an artifact from the Eastern World at the Museum of Natural History. Learn all you can about both the artifact and the culture it's from!

From the Middle (6-8)

Independent Reading: Select an article on a current event that is happening in the Eastern world! Your current event should be occurring on the same continent that your artifact is from.

From the Middle (6-8)

Endangered by Eliot Schrefer

Students will read the book "Endangered" for HW and respond to chapter questions for daily socratic circle sessions in class.

From the Middle (6-8)

Culture Elements

Culture slide presentation
Students will define culture using visuals and text of culture’s elements.
First slide- What is culture? Culture is........
Second slide-ex Religion (Students can copy google images on Christianity, Judaism)
Insert a text box and describe the photos you have chosen.
Third slide-Next element of culture. Copy and paste photo and include text description.

Gaming and New Media

Create an effective multi-media presentation that meets a pre-determined goal and can be embedded in Youth Voices .

Gaming and New Media

Irisz Agocs

Your mission create a story using Storybird . This site has lots of art to choose from to create your story book. Teachers can sign on and add students. Each student will be able to create a personal account. If you have any questions, please comment at the bottom of the mission or email Margaret Simon at masimon@iberia.k12.la.us

Gaming and New Media

Use  Scratch  to create an interactive ethical story, a story that teaches a lesson, or at least makes you understand how hard it is to make a good choice and have you feel that the right choice is always best. There should be a part of the story where the viewer can make a decision that will change the ending of the story completely. The viewer must make the decision that is morally correct. One decision is right and one decision, although it may help you in the short-term, will hurt because it was not the right thing to do.

Gaming and New Media

When we write or record a detox journal we are finding our own space of permission. When we make these video-, audio-, or written journals, we're playacting or experimenting with the invisible parts of a healthy, self-directed mindset. We're learning what it means to be mindful. Self-reflection is a natural state we are promoting, in order to pump adrenaline back into the soul. Of course we do this humbly, remembering the young person who asked, "Who are you to tell me to be myself?"

Gaming and New Media

Read the summary and the questions posed by By Holly Epstein Ojavlo, then go to the Learning Network at The New York Times and tell the world what you think about campaigns like Kony 2012. Do campaigns like these make you more or less likely to delve deeper into issues and take social action?

Students 13 and older are invited to comment on the  Learning Network at The New York Times . Please use only your  first name. For  privacy policy  reasons, they will not publish student comments that include a last name.

Gaming and New Media

Post Modern Wall

This is a fun project that allows you to combine many different viewpoints in one multimedia research project. Some students were frightened by the idea of making a movie, but I didn’t offer much in the way of instruction on Movie Maker while we experimented in my class. I just demonstrated how I was building my sample right along with the students, and we figured it out as we went. Within days, many of the students knew more about movie maker than me. Check out the movies they produced related to The Things They Carried on the mission page.

Gaming and New Media

Renaissance High School students teach string games at Radical Craft night @MAH

Playing games with string is a human cultural universal. This ancient art form is surprisingly helpful in developing both the manual dexterity and strength needed for computer keyboarding. The approach I use for teaching string games to groups also provides a helpful practice ground for some of life's essential skills: creativity, resilience, cooperation, and storytelling.

Gaming and New Media

Not sure what to do during a HOMAGO session? Here are some ideas for Hanging Out, Messing Around, and Geeking Out!

Gaming and New Media

Play these games. Capture screenshots or a video captures of your moves on a game. Write reflections describing the strategies you or your partner used to win.

Gaming and New Media

Congratulations! You have completed your home design, your measurements and calculated the the area and perimeter of your home. You also checked your work using the Distributive Property to see if your calculations were correct.

We want to use this project in future classes. Please help us to write down the instructions, how you did each step of the process. Each step should be a paragraph.

Post your instructions on Youth Voices, and include your model that you make on Planner 5D https://planner5d.com/ Let's make 3D models of your houses.

Gaming and New Media

What if you were to take a question or an issue that you are interested in and make an argument about it in the form of a fable? Write a short dialogue that features animals who can talk. Your dialogue should end with the words The Moral of the Story Is: . Oh, one more thing, make it an animation using Scratch.

Gaming and New Media

Play Ayiti and describe your experiences. http://youthvoices.net/costoflife

Letters to Decision Makers

Make your voice heard in the 2013 race for Mayor and City Council seats in New York City. Tell the voters and the candidates in New York City what you think is the most important issue facing young people in our city today. Let them know what you think about a specific issue, injustice, or problem facing New Yorkers by writing a Letter to the Next Mayor of New York City. Read and write about the candidates and their positions. Do research into the issues you care about the most, and write letters of argument to the next Mayor and/or members of the City Council, explaining how this issue impacts the lives of young New Yorkers. Write and submit as many letters of argument as you would like, keeping each focused to one particular issue facing New Yorkers today.

Letters to Decision Makers

In November 2016 voters in the U.S. will elect a new president. What do you believe is the most urgent issue for the new President to tackle?

Letters to Decision Makers

Make a short video (2 minutes or less) that tells a story about how an election issue affects you or your community.

Our Stories and Poems

Image for  at Youth Voices

Write 10 self and 10 world questions (+ keywords) to find your own area of inquiry, your own niche of expertise and excitement.

Our Stories and Poems

In this mission you will write descriptions and responses in a nature notebook, take photographs in a garden, and compose poems about flowers, vegetables and fruit. Then you'll do research on the flowers, vegetables, and fruit that your peers have published. Next, you'll write comments that include quotations (with citations) from your research and another poem in response the the one you're commenting on.

Our Stories and Poems

Let's write stories that are moments in our lives that mark who we are, stories that come from unforgettable events in our lives, that have created indelible memories for each of us individually.

Our Stories and Poems

Think about how you would like to introduce yourself to the Youth Voices community of students and teachers. Your bio will be one click away from each of your discussion posts and comments on this site.

Our Stories and Poems

Write two poems like those in Born Tying Knots: Swampy Cree Naming Stories . First, tell the story of your “Past Swampy Cree Indian Name.” Write a poem/story that explains why you might have been given this back THEN. After that, write a second poem to tell the story of your “Present Swampy Cree Indian Name.” What name would people who know you NOW give you at this time? Why?

Our Stories and Poems

Letter Writing with

What is the most important thing you carry with you every day? Why is it significant in your life? Who would you want to tell about this weight you carry, and what would you tell them about it? Is it a concrete object or something more symbolic? In this mission you can be funny or serious, but you are going to explore a weight you carry with you in life through letter writing.

Our Stories and Poems

As a way of introducing themselves, students post "This I Believe" essays The idea is for students to not only get to know each other, but to open up their writing to a broader audience and receive feedback from someone besides their own classmates. By working together and sharing ideas, we hope to help each other become better writers!

Our Stories and Poems

Poi circles.jpg

Consider the qualities that make a person your hero. Explain why this person is your hero and come to some conclusion on the nature of heroism (what exactly makes someone a hero).

Our Stories and Poems

Every person has 'The Monster' inside of them. Write a story about the monster inside of you. 

Our Stories and Poems

We are all experts on who we are, the lives we have lived and the experiences that impact on who we are and how we see the world. Through our stories we learn about ourselves and the experiences of others. In this project students will explore their history as readers as a way of understanding its contribution to who they are as readers. As students explore these identities,  and the role they play in their reading lives, they will also reflect on how they want to revise these identities as a pathway to enacting change in their lives and communities.

Our Stories and Poems

CReate an outsider

Our Stories and Poems

The title of James Baldwin's If Beale Street Could Talk is connected to blues music. Since there is a strong connection between music and modern poetry, it might be interesting to briefly study bop poetry--a poetic form created by Afaa Michael Weaver--because it is a genre that speaks about a problem (as blues music often does) and uses repetition (as songs usually do). Read several examples of bop poetry and write an original bop poem of your own.

Our Stories and Poems

Post a photo and description of a designated space. Format is stream of consciousness with no regard for structure or punctuation.

Our Stories and Poems

What made you write that poem, story, or piece of prose? What does it mean to you? Sometimes we just have to get our thoughts out there Thanks for sharing!

Our Stories and Poems

As an introductory project, you will create a powtoon animation that conveys aspects of your identity and immigration through text and images.

Our Stories and Poems

Explore what your name means to you like Esperanza does in The House on Mango Street . Write a prose poem that answers the following questions: What does your name mean to you? Where does it come from? Did you ever wish that you could change it?

Our Stories and Poems

¿Cómo podemos capturar un elemento de nuestra identidad en sólo seis palabras?
( English Version )

Our Stories and Poems

In this mission, you will write your own story using narrative form, or using the basic "parts" of a story: introduction, setting, characters, protagonist, plot, climax, and conclusion.

En esta misión, escribirás tu propio cuento usando forma narrativa, o usando "las partes" básicas de una historia: introducción, marco escénico, personajes, protagonista, trama, clímax, y conclusión.

Our Stories and Poems

Begin to explore your past and future by writing every day in your journal, choosing one of the prompts listed in this mission. Write about questions like these: What have been some of the positive influences in your life thus far? What have been some of the negative influences you’ve had? How did you overcome these challenges? What support and resources do you need to achieve your goals?

Our Stories and Poems

For this mission, you will compose two pieces of writing about your name: a poem and a personal essay. This mission can be completed in isolation, or after reading Round 1 of Ernesto Quinonez's novel Bodega Dreams

Our Stories and Poems

Write a narrative about your family's healthcare practices. Interview family members and tell stories to create a narrative showing the influences of your culture and beliefs on your family's health. How does your family stay healthy? How do they define illness? What would your family define as a MINOR medical problem? Give examples. Who is the first person you turn to when you are ill? Finally, compare your story with the stories in The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman (1997).

Our Stories and Poems

Try your hand at sonnet writing. You do not need to be Shakespeare; you just need to try. Shakespeare wrote 154 sonnets . It takes contemplation and a focus on diction. Most sonnets focus on love and fate as their topics. You may choose either topic to write about or try another topic of your choice.

• It must consist of 14 lines
  • Try to write your piece in iambic pentameter (10 beats per line)
  • It should follow Shakespeare’s rhyme scheme (abab cdcd efef gg)

Our Stories and Poems

Respond to a novel by creating a found poem depicting a key scene or event. Use powtoon software to design an audiovisual complement to your poem.

Our Stories and Poems

If you could speak with a politician, what would you like to tell them about the "Black Lives Matter campaign? Share your personal stories and provide insight into why Black Lives Matter.

Our Stories and Poems

Write a list poem about Thanksgiving.

Teachers Teaching Teachers

Read and annotate Teacher to Teacher Ideas that Work From the New York City Writing Project Compiled and Edited by Katherine Schulten

Teachers Teaching Teachers

Read and annotate articles about Connected Learning and Asynchronous Learning, and post a discussion on Youth Voices.

Teachers Teaching Teachers

Participate in a structured process for helping an individual or a team think more expansively about a particular, concrete dilemma. Outside perspective is critical to this protocol working effectively; therefore, some of the participants in the group must be people who do not share the presenter’s specific dilemma at that time.

Teachers Teaching Teachers

Read and annotate about Myra Barrs's work in reading and writing, and assessment.

Video Conversations

Make a video of you reflecting about your question.

Video Conversations

Make a slideshow that explains your question " Does everyone have a monster inside them?"

Video Conversations

Conduct a series of interviews, starting with a classmate, moving on to Vox Pop interviews in the hallway and street, and including interviews with experts. Publish these relatively raw, unedited "dalies" on Youth Voices, and learn how to edit these interviews to include them in a documentary you are making.

View Site in Mobile | Classic
Share by: