Youth Voices

Indelible Moments

Let's write stories that are moments in our lives that mark who we are, stories that come from unforgettable events in our lives, that have created indelible memories for each of us individually.

indelible /inˈdeləbəl/

adjective(of ink or a pen) making marks that cannot be removed.

• not able to be forgotten or removed: his story made an indelible impression on me.

First moves. Follow these instructions:

• Step 1 - What does "indelible" mean to you? Freewrite about this word in a Doc, giving examples of things that are indelible physically and emotionally. What makes some memories indelible and others not.
  • Step 2 - Read and write 5-paragraph comments for two of the examples listed on the left. Use the Comments Guides
  • Step 3 - Brainstorm some ideas for stories you might want to write. What are some indelible moments from your life? Share your ideas with others. Talk your ideas into life. See what they think about your story ideas - quickly.

Step 4 (three parts) - Now let's read these "indelible moment" stories.

Step 4a - Read along as Sandra Cisneros reads her story " Eleven ." Annotate the story in Genius.

Step 4b - Read the first chapter of Black Boy , by Richard Wright, which is filled with indelible moments. Record your own versions of the following sections, and use the Literature Guides to write responses to each of these sections of the first chapter. For each section, write your response in a Doc first; record in Audacity and export the file as an MP3; then post both the Literature Response and your audio together as a discussion on Youth Voices.

Read along here .

Step 4c - Read and listen to Jesus Colon read his story, " Little Things Are Big ." Annotate the story in Genius.

Step 5 - Finally, let's write a story of your own, an indelible moment from your life, like the ones linked to this this Mission.

Write a first draft and share it with two other students. Have them add comments by inserting comments on Google Docs.

Revise, get feedback from your teachers and peers, proofread, then post your story as Discussion on Youth Voices and add a link to it to your Bio on your profile page.

Use Audacity to record your reading of this story, export as an MP3 and upload that file with your Discussion Post on Youth Voices.

View Site in Mobile | Classic
Share by: