Youth Voices

Prostitution citation

by: Emelyp

In Cecilia Hoffman essay, "SEX: From Human Intimacy to 'Sexual Labor' or Is Prostitution a Human Right?"" from published on the CATW-AP website the author says: "Prostitution violates the right to physical and moral integrity by the alienation of women’s sexuality that is appropriated, debased and reduced to a commodity to be bought and sold. It violates the prohibition of torture and of cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment because clients’ acts and practices of sexual 'entertainment' and pornography are acts of power and violence over the female body.
It violates the right to liberty and security, and the prohibition of slavery, of forced labor and of trafficking in persons because millions of women and girls all over the world are held in sexual slavery to meet the demand of even more millions of male buyers of sex, and to generate profits for the capitalists of sex.
It violates the right to enjoy the highest standard of physical and mental health because violence, disease, unwanted pregnancies, unsafe abortions, and AIDS stalk, presenting constant and grave risks for women and girls in prostitution, and militating against a healthy sense of and relationship with their own bodies."

When we consider the issue of Prostitution, some might wonder: Should prostitution be legalized? John Bambenek, Executive Director of the Tumaini Foundation, wrote in his Jan. 2, 2007 post "The ACLU Is Fighting for the Trafficking of Women Worldwide" addresses this question because on on his Part-Time Pundit blog he said that " Prostitutes, because of their many partners, have a greatly increased risk of exposure to HIV. They are likewise able to spread HIV to many other partners..."

This is basically saying legalizing prostitution can lead into the spread of sexually transmitted diseases such as HIV.

This might make one wonder should prstitution be made illegal. It could bring so much dangers.

I'm pretty sure this is accurate, because at http://prostitution.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000115#7 it shows a lot of agreements on why prostitution should not be made legal.

Although 60% of women reported that buyers had sometimes been prevented from abusing them, half of those same women answered that, nonetheless, they thought that they might be killed by one of their buyers says Raymond , J. (2003). Ten Reasons for Not Legalizing Prostitution And a Legal Response to the Demand for Prostitution. Retrieved from http://www.honourconsulting.com/pdf/raymond.pdf . This is very good evidence since it is true and proven.

I double-checked this fact through on http://womensissues.about.com/od/rapesexualassault/a/Wuornos.htm which makes me feel pretty sure that it is true.

Prostitution is an act of violence against women which is intrinsically traumatizing. In a study of 475 people in prostitution (including women, men, and the transgendered) from five countries (South Africa, Thailand, Turkey, USA, and Zambia):

62% reported having been raped in prostitution.
73% reported having experienced physical assault in prostitution.
72% were currently or formerly homeless.
92% stated that they wanted to escape prostitution immediately.
(Melissa Farley, Isin Baral, Merab Kiremire, Ufuk Sezgin, "Prostitution in Five Countries: Violence and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder" (1998) Feminism & Psychology 8 (4): 405-426

Some might agree with Farley that prostitution is an act of violence in which is traumatizing to women. One reason is the statistics shown above on how women have been raped and wanted to get out of prostitution immediately. Another reason some might agree with Farley is the other facts she stated about prostitution. An example of this similar point-of-view can be found in another source I found. Many of the health problems of women in prostitution are a direct result of violence. For example, several women had their ribs broken by the police in Istanbul, a woman in San Francisco broke her hips jumping out of a car when a john was attempting to kidnap her. Many women had their teeth knocked out by pimps and johns. (Melissa Farley, unpublished manuscript, 2000)

One woman (in another study) said about her health: "I’ve had three broken arms, nose broken twice, [and] I’m partially deaf in one ear….I have a smallfragment of a bone floating in my head that gives me migraines. I’ve had a fractured skull. My legs ain’t worth shit no more; my toes have been broken. My feet, bottom of my feet, have been burned; they've been whopped with a hot iron and clothes hanger… the hair on my pussy had been burned off at one time…I have scars. I’ve been cut with a knife, beat with guns, two by fours. There hasn’t been a place on my body that hasn’t been bruised somehow, some way, some big, some small." (Giobbe, E. (1992) Juvenile Prostitution: Profile of Recruitment in Ann W. Burgess (ed.) Child Trauma: Issues & Research.

What we can appreciate all these writers work for giving us this information.

View Site in Mobile | Classic
Share by: