Youth Voices

Candor By Pam Bachorz

This week I finished the book "Candor" by Pam Bachorz. I really enjoyed this book because it was a science fiction genre. Candor is taken place in Candor, Florida (which is a real place). In Candor, everything is perfect, teenagers respect their parents, they do all their chores, and enjoy doing their homework, and never do they break any rules. You might ask: How is this possible? Well the answer is, everyone is controlled by subliminal messages that the creator of the town invented. These messages brainwash people in to doing whatever the messages tell them to do. No one can stop these messages from controlling them, but one person can: Oscar Banks the son of the creator of the town. It's funny how by day Oscar Banks is the role model for everyone in the town: he is class president, top student, but it is only a disguise. Since his father was the creator of the town, Oscar knew about the messages, and as he got older he found out a way to fight them: by counterprogramming his own messages.
Oscar also knows how to get kids out of Candor- for a price. Nobody can really imagine the role model of Candor "kidnapping" the richest new kids out of Candor before they change. His "job" is very risky, and if he gets caught he will be sent to the Listening Room, where your mind is wiped clean and you don't remember anything from your past.
When Nia, a new girl moves into Candor, Oscar is mesmerized by her one-of-a-kind attitude and her ability to see through his role-model-boy front. When Oscar discovers that he really loves Nia, he can't stand to see her being changed by the Messages. His main focus know is to decide whether to help Nia escape Candor and lose her forever or to keep her close while the Messages take over her brain.

View Site in Mobile | Classic
Share by: