I would like to address the subject of abortion.  I was raised in a highly christian home with very prominent christian views. I was told how to feel, how to think, and how to act.  Like a lot of people in Montana, I was also raised in conservative views. There is always to sides to every issue.  There is the side where people agree with it and the side where they don’t.  One of the biggest issues in the United States is abortion and what we, as american citizens, should do about the issue. Being raised with the values that were set upon me I was told to believe that everything about abortion is bad.  This paper has helped me believe otherwise.

I am not saying I believe that abortion should be legal, I am simply stating that I believe that abortion should be looked at a different light.  Abortion is seen to many conservatives as all bad.  I believe that there is much about abortion that is bad, and that should be changed, but I also think abortion has its advantages.  The government plays a big part in this decision-making process, but is that really the best way to deal with this issue?  As Christina Cauterucci says, “…I can tell you the government has no business in the decisions that women make with their own families in accordance with their faith, with medical advice.  And I will stand up for that right.”  I don’t think that is entirely true, but I believe a women should be able to choose it she has an abortion or not to a certain extent.  There are other options such as adoption if you don’t want your child.  Or if you believe you won’t be able to provide for your kid, you can get government benefits such as medicare/medicaid, food stamps, and others to help provide a normal life for the child.  

Abortion is happening all over the world all the time.  Joseph Meaney says, “Who here knows how many children have died from  abortion worldwide?” The answer is over 40 billion.  This is a huge number of unborn children that are being aborted in one year.  Some of these abortions can be prevented because the mother doesn’t understand or know what she is doing. If they were more educated on their options, they could figure their situation out.

Women are being labeled as the only people who need to care about abortion.  Christina Cauterucci writes, “When men discuss abortion among themselves, as they do in far too many policy discussions, it takes a detached air of philosophical principles.” Cauterucci portrays my previous statement entirely too well.  She talks about how each gender group should worry about themselves.  Meaney states, “Abortion is presented above all today as a ‘women’s issue’  a question of ‘choice’ and even as a ‘human right’.  This is all clever marketing for the atrocious reality of baby killing.  There are car bumper stickers that read ‘Against abortion?  Don’t have one’.  Now fill in the blanks with any other cause. ‘Against the killing of baby seals?  Don’t club one’… The ridiculousness of this statement leaps out.”  Meaney believes that abortion just like any other issue, should be addressed by the United States as a whole, not just as a certain group’s problem. I believe that leaving one group to decide another’s fate is not the right way to address this situation.  I also believe that we should not just leave one group to decide their own fate either.

This is an issue that needs to be addressed by our country as a whole.  There should not be a black and white side of this argument.  Both sides have great points and if we put our minds together we can move closer to fixing this difficult issue.  Our abortion policy is too lenient in some areas.  Abortion should be something that is not advertised and is not pushed for, but also not completely outlawed.  There should be specifics in our policy that allow abortion for women who were sexually abused or if the mother’s health is in danger.  All in all, abortion should be looked at case by case.  Not every situation is exactly the same.  Both sides of this argument should be able to voice their opinions and use strong systems from either side to make own solid policy.  Abortion is not a game, neither side has to win.  We need to compromise and think about our country’s future before we think about us now.  

image_print Print this page.

Author

0 0 votes
Rate This Post
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
6 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
November 29, 2023 2:14 am

In the article ” Abortion” (Madi 2017) I learned that abortion is a very controversial topic. I learned that women do take it very seriously when it comes to the male gender speaks of this topic, Women believe that “When men discuss abortion among themselves, as they do in far too many policy discussions, it takes a detached air of philosophical principles.” I learned that this a topic that will always have big too opinions on either sides.

I think that this author is right. I believe that the topic is hard for everyone and that, people are taught different ways to think,feel. Due to how they were raised, if their religious thinking, may affect the way people feel on this topic. Really though iI believe “Both sides of this argument should be able to voice their opinions and use strong systems from either side to make own solid policy.”

As I continue to learn about Abortion,I want to know more about if this case will ever really be resolved.

Marina
Marina
May 18, 2017 7:48 pm

I believe abortions should be legal only for those who are underage, raped, or not in the right state of mind to take care of a child. The idea of taking away peoples choice for abortion is wrong at the same time. By making abortion illegal it will put the women getting the abortion in a higher chance of dying. Even though abortion shouldn’t be what most people turn to it also shouldn’t be illegal.

T'Keya
T'Keya
May 18, 2017 7:33 pm

I defiantly agree with this argument, especially with needing to provide more education for other other options besides abortion, harming themselves. If we provide more education and options then Abortion would not be a problem. I understand that is the women’s decision, but I believe as a women, that other options should be explored before deciding that abortion is the “only option”. As this article says, ” I believe that leaving one group to decide another’s fate is not the right way to address this situation. I also believe that we should not just leave one group to decide their own fate either.”

Kylee
Kylee
May 17, 2017 8:26 pm

Abortion is a very controversial topic. In my opinion, there are other options than abortion if the mother isn’t ready or just doesn’t want the child. I also believe that if you think you’re old enough to have sex you’re old enough to know the consequences and how to prevent pregnancy. I don’t think abortion is the answer.

Annika
Annika
May 17, 2017 8:21 pm

I think that you were brave to put such a controversial topic up. I think you had very good points and brought up good topics throughout your writing. I agree that this is an issue that needs to be brought up. And i think that you writing this will be a good way to start.

Fernando
Fernando
May 17, 2017 7:00 pm

I think abortion shouldn’t be a topic to discuss. No one but the person carrying the baby should take the decision, no one should have the right to give an opinion or try to persuade the person who carries the baby. The decision should be taken by her own point of view. Also, the government should give more opportunities and choices for women who want to abort, whatever is their situation. In some countries where abortion is illegal, women have to travel to other countries to abort, or do it clandestinely in places that don’t have the right equipment and technology needed.

Youth Voices is an open publishing and social networking platform for youth. The site is organized by teachers with support from the  National Writing Project . Opinions expressed by writers are their own.   See more About Youth Voices Terms of Service Privacy Policy . All work on Youth Voices is licensed under a  Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

CONTACT US

Email allisonpr@gmail.com Call or Text 917-612-3006

Sending
wpDiscuz
6
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment. x
( )
x
| Reply

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Move Comment